Step aside, dentists, there’s a new best job in town. For the first time in years, dentist didn’t nab the top spot on U.S. News & World Report’s annual rankings. Though the list was, as usual, dominated by the health care industry, first place went to another field altogether: tech.
Software developers took home gold this year for their high salaries, employment rate and future job prospects, as well as a strong 10-year growth volume, manageable stress levels and enviable work-life balance. And while their median salary came in under some of the others on the list (at $100,080), the number of projected jobs far exceeds the others at 253,400. Translation: Maybe become a software developer in 2018.
Here’s who else made the 2018 best jobs list:
1. Software developer
3. Physician assistant
4. Nurse practitioner
8. (tie) Obstetrician and gynecologist
8. (tie) Oral and maxillofacial surgeon
8. (tie) Physician
More specifically, here are the best career and salary rankings:
- Best paying job: Anesthesiologist (median salary: $208,000)
- Best social services job: Lawyer
- Best creative and media job: Technical writer
- Best education job: High school teacher
- Best engineering job: Mechanical engineer
- Best science job: Epidemiologist/Medical scientist
- Best sales and marketing job: Marketing manager
- Best construction job: Plumber
- Best maintenance and repair job: Wind turbine technician
Want to know more? Check out all of U.S. News & World Report’s 2018 rankings.